What The Hell Is Going On? Queer News!


Issue 3

Boop! I’m back bitches. Sorry I left you all hanging last week, duty—that is, my boyfriend’s production of the Wizard of Oz IN KANSAS CITY—called. Speaking of, did you know Kansas City isn’t in Kansas? More white lies.

I digress. It’s time for Queer News! Here’s what I got for ya.

1. People in Botswana CAN have gay sex.

Sorry Kenya, sodomy’s where it’s at. Can you imagine the sex parties that would happen in NYC if butt sex were a crime and then legalized? I mean c’mon! Activists in Botswana are turnt for the ruling, and it certainly reminded me not to take my gay life in the good ‘ole U.S. of A for granted. The next time I engage in “acts of carnal nature” you better believe I’m gonna click my heels and say there’s no place like home!

2. Stonewall Forever.

O0o0oh rainbow diamonds. The Center—NYC’s LGBTQ community space—got together with Google to make a virtual extension of the Stonewall monument. Hot! Sadly, they do not serve tequila sodas like the actual Stonewall—which isn’t even the actual Stonewall…it’s a few buildings over. More. White. Lies. But they do have photo galleries of the first Pride events in the United States and you can hear actual audio from the riots. I think they’re chanting “Act up! Fight AIDS!” but I could totally be projecting from what I base my knowledge of gay history off of (see: RENT the musical). Whatever, these queers need to enunciate. Also, can we talk about the name Stonewall Forever? That’s an EP honey!

3. June 12th

The anniversary of Pulse was earlier this month. 3 years ago marks the deadliest incident of violence against the LGBTQ Community in the United States to date. A gunman—whose name I shan’t be writing, take notes journalists—murdered 49 people at Latin Night in Pulse Nightclub. The victims were primarily young people of color (my familia), and mobilized the queer community in astounding ways. Millions of dollars were raised via GoFundMe for the victims’ families (chosen included!), a fund specifically for the Latinx LGBTQ community was founded, and several grassroots organizations sprang forth. That’s making lemonade out of terrorism, dahlings.

4. Taylor Swift is gay now!
Oh, sorry, Taylor Swift is obsessed with the gays now. Just in time for profit! Oh, sorry, I meant Pride. Look, there are two sides to every story, and while I’m thankful for all of the attention Taylor Swift is shining on the LGBTQ community…it feels a little opportunistic. That being said, she has raised thousands of dollars for GLAAD, an LGBTQ media organization, and even urged people to sign the Equality Act, a petition now boasting over 300,000 signatures—and counting! There are worse things she could dooo

The song is unfortunately uber average, with lyrics like “shade never made anybody less gay” and it’s like…we’re not worried about shade? You know what makes someone less gay Taylor? Murdering them. That’s what we’re worried about. Also don’t think we all forgot about the demi-homophobic lyric in “Picture to Burn” you changed that was “So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy that’s fine I’ll tell mine that you’re gay!” 

LE GASP!

Truthfully, I miss that line. As someone who is obsessive, crazy, and gay I guess I just felt…seen.

5. More trans people are being murdered.


Comments

Popular Posts